INTERVIEW - Patrick Saint James

Speaking to Leigh Pride headliner, Patrick Saint James, we look back at the event.



What does Pride mean to you? and how does it feel now Leigh has its own?

As a queer man who has come from a small town (albeit it in Catholic Ireland) I know what its like to live in a place that isn’t particularly accepting of the LGBTQIA+ community.

I have witnessed blatant and ignorant homophobia first hand far too many times for my brain to remember each of them. I will say that since leaving school people I had to deal with on a daily basis are now fans of my work and embrace me as an artist. The reason for this is education.

Aside from educating others, pride also gives the young and often afraid members of our community the reassurance that it really is okay to be who they are. I’ll be honest, my first pride was back in 2014 and I was tricked into going to it by a close friend who saw that I was struggling with my sexuality but knew me well enough to know that it would help me in my journey of self discovery. It did just that. From that day onwards I have had a much stronger sense of who I am and I have finally gotten to a stage where my internal homophobia has turned into a love for myself and our community.

My beautiful, blue eyed life partner is from Leigh. Having grown up in similar situations, in small towns often filled with many small minded people we both understand each other’s stories fully.

It is amazing to me that this year was Leigh’s first ever Pride event. I am truly honoured and proud to have been the headline act on this line up. I will be forever grateful that I will share this moment with the man that I love. Every town and city need their own pride and it is a huge positive step for the area now that Leigh has their own.


I believe you performed at Pride in Leigh event at Spinners Mill? Did you find this performance different to elsewhere? How was the atmosphere?

This performance was one of a kind. There was such an optimistic audience who were there simply to celebrate either their own queerness or their queer friends and family. It was a truly beautiful event for all involved.


The establishment of a Leigh Pride is a significant step forward. What impact do hope this will have on Leigh? What are the next steps?

I think this can only be a positive move. The event will only grow bigger and stronger each year. It has been shown that the people of Leigh came out in their droves for this year's event. It sold out days before it took place. I look forward to attending an even bigger Leigh Pride next year.


Is there anyone you’d like to shoutout or thank, any organisations?

I’d like to thank Jess Eastoe and Jo Platt in particular for their efforts this year. As well as everyone involved in organising the event and those all connected to Spinners Mill.


answers

Patrick Saint James

questions

Pete Mercer


Mood Swings and Roundabouts - EP is available to purchase and stream via Lovers Music

patricksaintjames.com